The history of Police Headquarters and Central Division is so paralell we have placed most of the historical information on the respective substation webpage.
San Diego Police Headquarters is located at 1401 Broadway in downtown San Diego.
Built at a cost of $43,000,000, the official grand opening was held January 30, 1987.
The 1986-1987 move into 1401 Broadway came in stages.
Central Division, located on the 2nd floor of the old Assembly Building at 801 W. Market Street was supposed to be relocated to the new Police Headquarters at 1400 “E” Street in October 1986. The date was pushed back to November 14, then to November 21, 1986.
The Central Supply Room, located on the ground floor of the Assembly building,was relocated to 1401 Broadway on November 14, 1986.
Field Operations and the Central Property Room, also located on the ground floor of the Assembly Building, was relocated to 1401 Broadway
on November 21.
The flag lowering ceremony for the Old Police HQ at 801 W. Market Street was held on January 16, 1987.
1984 HQ Groundbreaking ceremonial shovel turn
Photograph Courtesy of Bob Lampert